September 3rd, 2021 by Tish

The game started at a fast pace with the Corries settling the better. The visitors had a few corners in
the first 5 minutes which were threatening but dealt by the home side. Matty Tong saw an effort
saved early on and then Rob Snedden almost put the Saints ahead but his shot went a yard wide of
the far post after a quick counter attack. The visitors continued to use their height up top of Joel and
Craig Evans to their advantage. Winning a number of corners in the process. The deadlock was
broken in the 19th minute when Joel Evans found himself in space 20 yards out from goal, turning
and finding the bottom corner of the net. The Saint’s continued to look nervy and the visitors
capitalised to make it 0-2 on 24mins. A long free kick by Corey Evans was headed back across goal,
and after a mix up between Hay keeper and defence ex-Saint Jordan Baker hooked the ball in just
beating Will Goodwin who was on the line. The Corries scored a third on 34mins, again from a set
piece. This time it was Dale Evans winning a header from a corner. The home side started to show a
bit of fight. On 38mins the ball found Snedden at the far post 14 yards out but his effort went over
the bar. Just before half time Snedden did pull a goal back for the Saints with a brilliant free kick
which dipped inside the far post. Ht 1-3.
The Saints had a firm team talk at half time and knew that the performance had to improve with
more intensity and closing down. This worked and they started strongly. Jack Biggs scored a header
on 50mins from a Jack Cripps corner to put them back in the game. The Saints continued to be the
better side throughout the half and limiting the Corries response. Zack Snape saw a header at the far
post go over then Phil Davies saw his back post header saved by visitors keeper Declan Gaydon. The
Saints were inches away from finding an equaliser on 86mins when a low cross across the box
almost found an outstretched Tong who had an empty net. Ft 2-3.
It was a very poor start from the Saints gifting the Corries opportunities to get the ball into the box.
Joel and Craig Evans in particular were causing a lot of problems during the first half but silly
mistakes didn’t help the cause. It was a much better second half with the home side showing a lot of
fight. A draw was definitely gettable in the end but the damage was done early on.
Sponsors man of the match: Rob Snedden.
Josh Davies, Matt Venables (Phil Davies), Will Goodwin (Charley Howarth), Adam Finn, Zack Snape,
Jack Cripps, Callum Maddy, Jack Biggs, Adi Lawford (Harry Ratcliffe), Rob Snedden, Matty Tong.

Bishops Castle 2-2 Saints

September 3rd, 2021 by Tish

The Saints started on the front foot and attacked the home side from the off. Matty Tong and Adi
Lawford both went close to scoring early on only for the keeper and then the far post to deny them.
The Saints had the ball in the net within 10mins but it was ruled out for offside. It was really nice
build up play with Tong sliding Rob Snedden through on goal who smashed it past the keeper from 8
yards. Castle started to get more in the game and also looked dangerous up top through Martin
Ziemann. The Saints again had the ball in the net when Tong was put through one on one and lobbed
the keeper but it was again ruled out for offside. The Saints continued to put the pressure on and a
Snedden corner was saved on the line. The home side took the lead with a brilliant individual effort
through Ziemann. He nodded a long clearance past Adam Finn on the half way line down the right
hand side. Ziemann then knocked it past the oncoming Steve Jones, he then cut in and beat Josh
Davies at his front post. The home side continued to grow in confidence seeing a lot of the ball but
the Saints equalised when Matty Tong shot took a slight dereliction and beat the keeper at his front
post from a Biggs through ball. Castle made it 2-1 after a mix up at the back. The unfortunate Steve
Jones saw his clearance charged down and the ball was calmly slotted away by Josh Collins. Ht 2-1.
The Saints couldn’t have asked for a better start to the second half. On 46 mins Castle played a back
pass to the keeper who picked it up. A free kick inside the area was given. Snedden touched the ball
to Tong who curled the ball into the far corner of the net with his left foot. The home side argued
with the ref about the back pass and saw a red card for abusive language towards the official. The
Saints piled on the pressure throughout the half and saw most of the ball. Ziemann continued to be
a handful up top on his own when he has possession. Tong almost put the visitors ahead when he
got a toe on a through ball from Snedden when 18 yards out. His shot beat the keeper but hit the
outside of the post and stayed on the touchline. Tong tried flicking the ball around the post but a
home defender got back to clear the danger. 10 mins later a lovely waited ball from Will Goodwin
down the right was met by Biggs who again hit the post for the Saints. The home side kept strong,
defended well and slowed the clock down but their was one last chance for a winner in the 88th
minute when Biggs met a cross with a volley but his effort went over the bar. Ft 2-2.
It was a frustrating afternoon for the Saints who did enough to claim the points but fair play to
Bishop’s Castle for a solid defensive display when going down to 10 men.
Saints man of the match was between Matty Tong and Callum Maddy.
Josh Davies, Matt Venables, Will Goodwin, Steve Jones, Adam Finn, Charley Howarth (Phil Davies),
Jack Cripps, Jack Biggs, Rob Snedden, Adi Lawford (Harry Ratcliffe), Matty Tong.

We are National finalists!!!

August 10th, 2021 by Tish

2021 marks the 14th annual FAW Grassroots Football Awards, presented by McDonald’s, which recognises and rewards the amazing people, clubs and organisations driving grassroots football in Wales.

Hay St Mary’s are now National finalists and we need your vote.

This really would be an incredible award. The amount of work that goes on behind the scenes to enable us to have football is tremendous and this award really would be the icing on the cake.

If you could spare a few minutes and vote for our club we at Hay St Mary’s would really appreciate it.

Thank you all for your continued support.

Please follow this link to cast your vote:

Saints Vs Waterloo Rovers

August 9th, 2021 by Tish

A much-depleted Saints side were beaten comfortably in their first home game of the season.
Waterloo took the lead in the 2nd minute after they picked up on a loose ball from a throw in. The
ball was played out to the left where Jake Mann finished well, placing the ball into the far corner of
the goal. The visitors continued to look the better side and got a 2nd goal on 40mins when again
Mann capitalised on another mistake from the Hay defence. This time he ran onto a misjudged
header and slotted the ball past keeper Josh Davies. It was then 0-3 in first half stoppage time when
Tom Ellis scored a 20-yard looping header which dipped under Davies’ crossbar. Ht 0-3
Hay changed formation at half time to try and get some added support to an isolated Matty Tong.
Things were more even, and the home side got a goal back when Harry Ratcliffe poked the ball in
from a Phil Davies flick on from a corner. Ratcliffe then had a good chance to make it 2-3 when the
ball was loose from close range, but he was appealing to the ref for a handball. A minute later
Waterloo sealed any doubts when substitute Shaun Roberts scored with his first touch from a goal
mouth scramble. The game become stretched, and Rovers hit the post on a breakaway. Four became
five in the 92nd minute when Gareth Turner has time to turn 20 yards out and curled the ball into the
top corner. Ft 1-5.
Josh Davies, Matt Meredith (Dan Scaife), Matt Venables (Phil Davies), Chris Preece, Liam Pike, Zack
Snape, Charley Howarth, Jack Cripps, Darren Horrigan (Gareth Jenkins), Harry Ratcliffe, Matty Tong.

Abermule 1-1 Saints

August 5th, 2021 by Tish

Abermule 1-1 Saints
The Saints travelled to high flying Abermule with a depleted squad as 12 first team players were
unavailable. Abermule have had a good start to the season winning both of their league games
The game started with some good football from both sides but few chances as both defences were
on top. Charlie Humphreys had a couple of half chances for the home side placing one effort a foot
wide of the far post. Hay almost took the lead when Jack Cripps swung in a corner which beat the
keeper but was headed off the line. Cripps also saw a 25 yard free kick saved brilliantly by the home
keeper. The visitors centre backs of Zack Snape and Steve Jones were winning their battles against
the Mule attack with the Hay fullbacks of Matt Meredith and Liam McAnally seeing a lot of the ball.
Ht 0-0.
The second half was much the same with a very competitive battle between the sides in midfield
and both defences on top. The deadlock was broken on 68 mins when Matty Tong got on to a
brilliant through ball from McAnally. Tong bravely stabbed the ball past the oncoming keeper who
clattered him in the process. Tong injured his back and was in pain but had to stay on as the Saints
had used their only sub. Mule threw everything at the visitors for the last 20 mins. Midfielders Adi
Lawford, Jack Cook, Jack Cripps and Charley Howarth worked tirelessly. Youngster Howarth was
making his league debut for the club. Rob McNamara also worked hard in his first game back playing
as a winger. The Mule Centre backs were playing a lot of long balls and were limited to shooting
from range. The home team did get an equaliser when a long ball from Mule centre back Dewi
Williams was challenged by the attacker but sailed over his head and the out coming Saints keeper
Josh Davies. The pressure remained from the home side under till end but the Saints battled hard for
a well earned point.
It was a brilliant battling performance by the whole team. Every player worked their socks off and
limited the home side to few clear chances.
Josh Davies, Matt Meredith, Liam McAnally, Steve Jones, Zack Snape, Charley Howarth, Jack Cook,
Jack Cripps, Adi Lawford, Rob McNamara (Gareth Jenkins), Matty Tong.

Builth Vs Hay St Marys

August 5th, 2021 by Tish

Builth 2-0 Saints
The Saints travelled to title contenders Builth Wednesday night who won 15-0 in their previous
league game.
The first half was a stalemate with both teams working hard and challenges flying in. Liam McAnally
was linking well with Adi Lawford and causing a threat down the left. Matty Tong had a good chance
but a last minute block was put in by the Builth defender. The away side also had a few long range
efforts from Tong, Jack Cook and Charlie Howarth but we’re comfortably saved by the Builth keeper.
Builth looked very dangerous on set pieces and came close to breaking the deadlock with a couple of
headers. Ht 0-0.
The second half started the same as the first, pretty cagey with both sides battling. The bulls almost
took the lead when a header was brilliantly cleared off the line by Matt Venables. Then Adi Lawford
almost put the visitors ahead on 58 mins with a looping header going inches wide of the far post
with Spooner rooted. The home side did take the lead through Ciaran Price on 63 mins after he
slotted the ball past Josh Davies after a good run. Things went from bad to worse for the Saints from
then. Will Goodwin has to be subbed at the restart as he pulled his groin. Sub Steve Jones was not
allowed to enter the field as he was wrong side of the pitch so game continued with Saints having 10
men for 5 mins. Matty Tong then had to leave the field with a back injury and was replaced by Rob
Snedden. Snedden hit the bar with his first shot from 20 yards. On 70 mins the Saints were down to
10 men when Callum Maddy saw red for a second booking. No complaints about the red but the
game saw a number of tackles flying in from both sides and players were very lucky to go
unpunished on multiple occasions. Snedden then went down injured and had to be carried off so the
Saints played the last 15 mins with 9 players. Builth kept the pressure on with Hay trying to counter.
The home side put the game to bed when Christian Williams shot went in from the edge of the box
with 2 mins to play.
It was a very good battling performance by the Saints who were punished with the red card and
injuries. Liam McAnally was superb and young Charley Howarth again impressive in the midfield.
Josh Davies, Will Goodwin (Steve Jones), Liam McAnally, Phil Davies, Matt Venables, Charley
Howarth, Jack Cripps, Callum Maddy, Adi Lawford (Matt Meredith), Jack Cook, Matty Tong (Rob


June 18th, 2021 by Tish

On Saturday 3rd July Hay St Marys will be hosting a fundraiser in memory of Kieran Joyce who sadly passed away at the age of 15 in his sleep.

His mum and dad set up a fundraiser CRY (Cardiac Risk in the young).

Here at Hay St Marys we will be joining together with Cheltenham Town football club to play matches with our junior section along with a match between the two senior sides.

For those who are unable to make the game it is going to be live streamed on the day, you will be able to watch via this link –

If you would like to donate to CRY you can do so by following the link

The Saints are back….

May 22nd, 2021 by Tish

Hay St Marys played their first friendly away to Talgarth Town with new manager Gareth Jenkins.

Talgarth Town 0-1 SAINTS

The new look Saints started very positively and had a lot of possession in the opening stages, playing some nice football. Strikers Matty Tong and Jack Biggs were causing a threat but the Talgarth centre back duo of Gethin Davies and Matthew Lloyd were very solid. The Saints continued to dominate but seemed to be trying to play the killer ball too often. Jack Cripps went close but Talgarth keeper Jordan Bailey made a good save. Talgarth had a chance to take the lead when the Hay defence misjudged a long ball, Paul Keddle ran through on goal but Zack Snape recovered and did enough to put Keddle off who dragged his shot wide. The Saints continued to control possession. Jack Cook was linking up well with the front two and a good partnership was forming between Liam McAnally and Phil Davies. Talgarth had their best bit of play in the half when Rhys Davies beat two Saints players down the left wing and drilled a really good low cross across the six yard box but no Town player was on hand to tap in. The Saints could have then had a penalty. Tong ran through on goal and was clattered by keeper Bailey, Tong some how stayed on his feet but was forced wide and tackled by Charley Howarth. Five minutes before half time the Saints made the breakthrough when Jack Biggs had a curling shot from 20 yards which beat keeper Bailey and ended up in the roof of the net. Ht 0-1.

The Saints almost doubled their lead straight from kick off when Jack Biggs tried another long range effort but Bailey did well to tip it over the bar. The next 20mins Talgarth saw more of the ball and created a few chances. The Saints defence blocked a few shots and managed to get a foot in when needed. Rhys Davies went close from a 25 yard free kick but his effort just dipped over Josh Davies and the Saints crossbar. The final quarter of the game opened up. Tong held the ball up well and layer it off to Tom Landon who saw his shot from 8 yards go straight at Bailey. Landon then turned provider for Tong who’s snap shot went wide of the far post. Rhys Davies had a few more runs down the left but Will Goodwin stayed strong. Callum Maddy was working tirelessly in midfield for Hay and won a lit of tackles and interceptions. He played an early free kick to Tong on the half way line who was clean through on goal but the ref blew up for offside. On 80mins the ball was layed off to Maddy who ran onto it and powered a shot at goal from 12 yards. Town keeper Bailey again making a good save by pushing the ball over the bar. Rob Sneddon come on for the Saints and looked threatening, linking up well with the midfield. On the 83rd minute Tong won a free kick when Charley Howarth brought him down. The two players had a good battle all evening. Snedden took the resulting free kick from between the 18 yard box and touchline. His curling effort beat Bailey but cone back off the crossbar. In the final minutes the home side had a strong shout for a penalty after Jordan Harvey seemed to brought down by the impressive Adam Finn. Ft 0-1

Team; Josh Davies, Liam McAnally, Will Goodwin, Adam Finn, Zack Snape, Phil Davies, Callum Maddy, Jack Cripps, Jack Cook, Matty Tong, Jack Biggs. Subs. Steve Jones, Tom Landon, Rob Snedden, Gabriel Moore.

It was a really competitive friendly and was enjoyable to watch. Both managers are sure to be pleased with what they saw from their teams. The only negative was Steve Jones having to come off with a nasty gash on his knee after looking solid while on. Thanks to Paul Sharman for helping with the medical attention.

All the best to Talgarth for the coming season.