Home of the Saints

Saints Beat League Champions.

May 10th, 2018

The Saints inflicted a first league defeat on champions Builth Wells FC tonight after a 2-1 win under the lights at Forest Road.

Both sides were missing several key players, manager Gareth Jenkins once again had to name himself in the starting line up.

Clear goal scoring opportunities were at a premium in the opening stages of this match as Saints defender Wilf Ratcliffe fired an effort at the Builth Wells goalkeeper from the edge of the penalty area and a Wyesiders’ midfielder fired a 21st minute free-kick from out on the right straight at Jordan Bailey in the Hay St Mary’s goal. Bailey made an incredible one-handed save to turn over a pile driver from no more than 15 yards out.

Both teams came close to breaking the deadlock in first-half stoppage time, as firstly the visitors saw a 46th minute free kick for a backpass deflected behind for corner, before the host’s player/manager Gareth Jenkins saw a close range shot on the turn saved.

Ht 0-0

Jenkins was denied by the Builth Wells custodian in the opening minute of the second-half following a low cross swung in from the right before the visitors saw a header from a 48th minute corner clip the top of the Saints’ crossbar.

The Wyesiders took the lead six minutes later when they broke down the right and the subsequent cross was converted by former Llandrindod Wells striker Richie Powell. But the visitor’s were only ahead for two minutes as Jack Biggs’ header from Adam Finns’ free-kick into the Builth Wells penalty area found the back of the net. Hay St Mary’s turned the match around in the 67th minute when skipper Chris Preece eventually headed the ball home from close range after the Wyesiders’ failed to deal properly with a corner.

Saints goalkeeper Jordan Bailey was forced into a full-length save save in the 71st minute before the hosts went down the other end of the pitch and Adi Lawford saw his 30 yard effort saved. Builth Wells applied the pressure in the closing minutes as they saw a header from an 89th minute clear the crossbar before Preece was forced to clear a dangerous cross heading towards the far post. But the champions were unable to find the elusive equaliser to preserve their unbeaten league record.

Goal scorers Jack Biggs and Chris Preece.

Match report and photos by Stu Townsend


Man of the match Jack Biggs.

Online Cashback