Home of the Saints

Dyffryn Banw 0-7 Saints

August 26th, 2018

The Saints made the long trek to Dyffryn Banw against a side that had won 1 and drawn 2 of their first 3 games.

Hay started the better and had a lot of possession in the opening stages. Tom James and Harry Hooper were a constant threat down the right hand side and the deadlock was broken on 15 mins after good work from Brendan Hackett and a cross from James was headed in by Jack Biggs who managed to beat the keeper to the ball. Five minutes later the lead was doubled when a nice pass from Jack Biggs played in Hackett who slotted past the keeper into the far post from 14 yards. A few minutes later it was three, after a corner was semi cleared by the home side, the ball rolled out to Tom James who hit the ball first time from 35 yards which flew into the top corner. The Saints were playing some brilliant football and keeping possession  well. The defence also looked very confident and dealt with the rare attacks from the home side. Hay goalkeeper Tom Lewis was called into action on the half hour mark and made a decent save from the head of the Banw striker. The Saints put themselves 0-4 up on 35 mins with another brilliant goal. The home side again semi dealt with a cross from the right, the ball looked to have been cleared but the hard working Tom Wilkes somehow managed to bend his foot around the ball and overhead kick it over the keeper into the back f the net for his first goal of the season. H.t 0-4

The home side started the second half brighter and created a few half chances early on but the Saint’s went on a counter attack down the left with Tom Landon who passed to Biggs who was brought down just inside the area after a clever turn. Biggs picked himself up and gave the keeper no chance from 12 yards to make it 0-5. The Saints continued to have a lot of possession but Tom Lewis had to make a good save with his feet after a quick counter attack from Banw. Hackett made it 0-6 after a neat one-two with Biggs, he then chipped the keeper from 20 yards. Six became seven when Biggs did a virtually identical finish and chipped it in this time from 18 yards. The visitors had to play the last 12 minutes with 10 men after substitute Darren Horrigan pulled his hamstring and was unable to continue with all three subs being made. F.t 0-7

It was a brilliant away performance with some superb football being played. We looked lethal in front of goal and had a few contenders for goal of the season. It was also very pleasing to get a third clean sheet in five games. Jamie Howard, Tom Lewis and the back four all put in good performances to limit the home sides opportunities. Hackett and Biggs were outstanding in the middle of the park and the wingers and front men worked tirelessly and always looked threatening.

Online Cashback