Kington Town 5 Saints 3.

The Saints went down 5-3 at league leaders Kington Town on Saturday, to rub salt into the wounds four of the goals were scored by former Saints players including a hat-trick from midfielder Brian Dyer.


Mayglothling keeping a close eye on former team mate Wisniewski.

The first half saw lots of Hay pressure on the Kington goal, as early as the 3rd minute  a Mike Havard free kick was tipped around the post by a fully stretched Chris Lloyd, two minutes later Wisnieski put Tom Wilkes in on goal but he pulled his shot wide, the ninth minute again saw Wisniewski play a lovely throughball this time to Kev Jones who saw his shot spectacularly saved by Lloyd in the home goal.

A quick throw by Brian Dyer saw Kington’s first chance on goal but stand in keeper Davies beat Lloyd to the ball, the 21st minute saw a Jones corner cleared to Havard on the edge of the area who hit a first time shot which went inches wide, the same player saw another free kick go wide on the 30 minute mark.

A couple of great last ditch tackles by the Mayglothling brothers Sam and Joe on Wiilliams and Jones prevented more goal scoring chances.

A rare Town attack in the 37th minute saw them awarded a corner from which they opened the scoring against the run of play, Dyer headed the ball down and defender Sam Lloyd scored from close range. 0-1

The game started to open up now with both sides attacking, Williams just missing the target in the 42nd minute after being released by Wilkes, up the other end a minute later a Joe Penrose mazy run ended with a shot which was well held by Davies. Just before half time Jones played a one two with winger Williams who drilled a shot past the diving Lloyd to make it 1-1. On the stroke of half time things got even better for the Saints when Havard was tripped in the box and a penalty was awarded, striker Wisniewski making no mistake to send the Saints in 1-2 up at half time.

The second half was only two minutes old when Town were awarded a free kick out wide right, Sam Mac sent in a curling ball which was flicked on and then finished from close range by Dyer to make it 2-2.

The Saints thought they should of been awarded a penalty on 50 minutes when Jones was upended in the box but to the amazement of everyone the ref  shouted play on, Town found themselves back infront again on 57 minutes when Dyer headed in from a corner for 3-2.

Chris Preece went close with a header in 62nd minute but his effort went wide, in the 65th minute it was all square again after Jones passed to the over lapping Havard whose cross was met by the diving Tom Weaver for the goal of the game 3-3.

With the game looking like a draw another set piece in the 87th minute saw Dyer’s header hit the bar and come back to Russ Jones who volleyed in from close range to the delight of the home supporters 4-3. With the Saints now having to chase the game a Kington player was fouled out wide and yet again from the resulting set piece it was that man Dyer who scored to put the icing on the cake for the home team. Ft 5-3.

This was an great game of football to watch, a good old fashioned derby which had just about everything. The Saints couldn’t handle the set pieces by the home side in which Brian Dyer was excellent, on another day we could of been 3 or 4 up in the first half but for good goalkeeping and defending especially by Sam Mayglothling who I thought was excellent throughout. We played some nice one touch stuff on a good playing surface(cheers Bill Mac) but just couldn’t finish our chances. Kington took their chances so deserve their win.

Team- Josh Davies, Stu Davies(Graeme Keeble), Chris Preece(c), Sam Bradley, Phil Davies, Tom Wilkes(Jake Atkinson), Tom Weaver(Jamie Howard), Gavin Williams, Kev Jones, Josh Wisniewski.

Manager Sean Hackett couldn’t pick between strikers Jones and Wisniewski for his man of the match.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *